Urban Drainage in the Netherlands
(Latest update: 26 February, 2013)
RIONED Foundation: centre of expertise
RIONED Foundation (Stichting RIONED) is the national centre of expertise in sewer management and urban drainage in the Netherlands. General information about RIONED.
Sewer Systems Module for Higher Professional Education
The Sewer Systems Module for HPE (free download) offers higher education material in the field of urban drainage and sewerage. It gives an overview of planning, technology, design, and management of Western urban drainage in the context of The Netherlands. Both the Dutch and the English version appeared under the responsibility of KIVI-NIRIA, in collaboration with RIONED and the Sewerage Working Group of NLingenieurs.
Urban Drainage International Research Database (UDIRD)
RIONED Foundation offers access (free of charge) to it's international research database on urban drainage: UDIRD. It contains the bibliographical information of publications on sewer management and urban drainage - international congresses, journals and dissertations. Titles, authors, and information on research centres are presented through a thematic interface.
UDIRD is updated regulary. Publicists are invited to submit bibliographical information on their publications.
Urban drainage and water management in the Netherlands
Below are some links to related organisations and further reading (in English):
- Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment; read e.g. 'A different approach to water', 'Water management in the Netherlands' , the Water Act (2009), and the Administrative Agreement on Water Affairs (2011).
- Water governance in the Netherlands, the Dutch waterschap model
- Dutchwatersector.com on the international activities of the Dutch water sector (public sector, knowledge institutes, NGOs, and private companies). With information on projects, education, events, governance, and a business directory.
- The Dutch versus the water, an article highlighting measures against flooding.
- Effects of Climate Change on Water Management in the Netherlands (article)
- Effectiveness of urban wastewater treatment in the Netherlands and other European countries (study by the European Environment Agency)
- World Water Academy offers practical on demand courses for all water related issues for the global water sector.
About the Netherlands in general
Interesting other links on urban drainage